XIVth ALHAMBRA INTERNATIONAL
From 28th May to 2nd June 2018
- The competition will take place in Valencia from 28th May to 2nd June 2018. Open competition for all guitarists, younger than 35 years old on May 28th 2018, irrespective of nationality, excluding previous 1st prize winners of this event.
- The jury is made up of prestigious personalities from the guitar world. The jury is empowered to interrupt the contestant’s performance.
- The pieces must be played by heart, except the work, El reloj de Teresa by Juan de Dios García Aguilera (Final Round) and may not be repeated in any other round.
- Performances may be spread or recorded through any technical support. Contestants renounce to any right related to this subject.
- Performances will be opened to the public. The First round, the Second round and the Final (on May 29th, 30th, 31st and on June 1st) will take place in Conservatorio Municipal “José Iturbi” de Valencia at José Roca hall, placed at Avenida Baleares, 36.
The Closing and Prize-Giving Ceremony will take place on June 2nd in Palau de la Música de Valencia (Paseo de la Alameda, 30). The schedule will be determined at that moment.
- On May 28th at 19´00, the contestants must be present at José Roca hall at Conservatorio Municipal de Música “José Iturbi”, placed at Avenida de Balerares, 36 in Valencia, where the Open Ceremony and the public draw will take place to determine the order of appearance of the contestants which will be kept during the competition.
Contestants must submit their passport or national identity document. Attendance to the draw is compulsory. If the contestant is not present at the draw at the fixed hour by the organization, the contestant will be excluded.
- FIRST ROUND. It will take place on May 29th and 30th at José Roca hall.
Following the established order, contestants will perform on May 29th from 10´00 the compulsory works: 1st Romanza by Miguel Llobet (1878-1938), 2nd Un Estudio to choose from Doce Estudios by Heitor Villalobos (1887-1959).
Three copies of all free choice works should be handed to the Organization by the contestants who have passed to the next round prior to the performance.
- SECOND ROUND. It will take place on May 31st at José Roca hall.
Successful contestants will perform, according to the established order in the public draw, the compulsory work: Introducción, Tema y variaciones op.9 de Fernando Sor (1778-1839) and works from different styles for a maximum duration of 30 minutes.
- FINAL ROUND. After the second round, the jury will select and announce the finalists who will perform in the final round which will take place on June 1st at 18´00 P.M. at José Roca hall, according to the established order.
Finalists will perform in the final round the compulsory work: Tango de la Casada Infiel by Vicente Asencio (1908-1972) and works from different styles.
Contestants can opt for “Alhambra prize to the new Spanish music composition” if they perform, in this final round, the new work El reloj de Teresa by composer Juan de Dios García (1959), specially commissioned for this new edition. This work will be available to be downloaded on the website www.concursoalhambra.com in February 2018. In addition, you can write to firstname.lastname@example.org and ask for it.
The whole duration of this round must not exceed 35 minutes. Three copies of the scores of all free choice works should be handed to the Organization by the contestants prior their performances.
- CLOSING AND PRIZE-GIVING CEREMONY. It will take place on June 2nd at Rodrigo hall in Palau de la Música.
The final Act of the Jury will be read during the Closing Ceremony and the First prize winner will perform some works in the final a part of this Ceremony.
Attendance at the Closing and Prize-Giving Ceremony is compulsory for the finalists.
The required dress code for this Ceremony is formal.
- Application forms for the competition must be sent by post, fax, e-mail or through our website:
Concurso Internacional de Guitarra Alhambra (Manufacturas Alhambra S.L.)
Duquesa de Almodóvar, 17
MURO DE ALCOY (Alicante)
For further technical questions, please contact: email@example.com
- The deadline for the receipt of these is on 20th May 2018.
- 14.000 euros cash prize
- CD recording by Naxos
The first prize winner will sign away any phonographic rights derived from this subject in order to record the CD. In addition, the winner accepts to record this CD with an Alhambra guitar which will be chosen by the winner and given by Alhambra. It is also compulsory to record the new work “El reloj de Teresa” by composer Juan de Dios García Aguilera.
The winner will record the CD within the following four months after the competition.
- One concert sponsored by Manufacturas Alhambra with a total fee of 1.000 euros.
- Exclusive agreement of artistic diffusion sponsored by Manufacturas Alhambra.
- 4.000 euros cash prize
- Grant for the Master de Guitarra de Alicante 2019 to attend as an active student. The grant is only valid for the 2019 edition. If it was not possible to attend, the benefit of the grant would be lost.
- 2.500 euros cash prize
Alhambra’s prize for the new Spanish Music Composition:
-3.000 euros cash prize
Finalists will be able to win this prize if they include in their repertory in the final round the work El reloj de Teresa by composer Juan de Dios García Aguilera. Mainly, the jury will take into account the performance of this new work.
- 1.000 euros cash prize
Concerts performed by the winners may be recorded and published in any format. The winners sign away the rights that are derived from this subject.
*Prizes are subjected to Spanish tax regulations in force. Contestants must provide an official ID card document or Passport. Prizes will be paid the first working day after the contest by bank transfer. It will be essential that contestants facilitate the Organization the bank details and all the necessary documentation by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Prizes can be shared except “Alhambra’s prize to the new Spanish music composition”. The jury may decide not to award any of them.
- Contestants who win some prize accept to include it in their C.V.
- The hours of the competition may be modified by the jury.
- It is understood that contestants automatically accept the rules of the competition as well as the jury’s decision just for signing up for this competition.
- Hotel accommodation will be given by Manufacturas Alhambra S.L. to all those guitarists who pass the first round on 31st May, 1st and 2nd June 2018.
- The Organization does not accept liability for any harm caused or suffered by contestants to the celebration of the Competition.
- A compulsory entry fee of 40 euros must be transferred to the following account number or can be paid through Paypal on the web www.concursoalhambra.com:
Banco Santander S.A.
Pz. Luceros, 1
E-03001 Alicante (España)
IBAN: ES95 0049 6659 0922 1618 9385